Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Orochan Ramen Challenge!



      Orochon Ramen is known for using the purest of ingredients in their ramen, but more importantly it is known for having the challenge dish Special 2. A ramen that is so spicy that even Man Vs. Food host Adam Richman could barely handle! Yet there I was, a newbie compared to Richman.
Vanilla Mochi Ice Cream
      It was not easy task finding the small restaurant, it is well hidden in Little Tokyo just across the street of the mall. I decided to prepare my stomach for the heat by eating mochi ice cream. Mochi is a traditional Japanese ice cream that is balled up and covered by a thin layer of rice cake. It was a delicious way to cool off my stomach.
Taking the challenge!
     When I arrived at Orochon though, I felt so nervous! My heart was pounding fast and I kept bouncing in my seat. I sat right next to the wall of bravery for inspiration. There are only about a dozen people on the wall and all of them are men. I wanted to be the first woman on there!
The Wall of Bravery.
     In order to be on the wall I had to finish the Special 2 in no more than 30 minutes. The plate arrived at the clock begun to tick.
     The first taste did not set my soul on fire as expected, it was spicy yet enjoyable. The first five minutes were easy, but slowly the heat accumulated in my mouth and led a a track down my throat and into my stomach. I had lost my cool.
      Time flew past me and I suddenly realized I had six minutes left and still more than half a bowl full of noodles. I would have taken the bowl and chugged the rest like a maniac, but my stomach had reached the point of explosion if one more drop was consumed. It was embarrassing to fail, but it would have been even more embarrassing to vomit in public (or in private for that matter.)
     So yes my fellow heat seekers, I failed the Orochon challenge but I have no regrets! I have eaten the best foods and my stomach lining is still holding up, so bring up the heat! Oh and here's a video of my first taste of the Special 2. ENJOY! Stay spicy my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment