Friday, October 12, 2012

El Pescador's Demon Sauce

      I endured my first flame excersice and visited El Pescador #5 in South Gate. My poison of choice was Camarones A La Diabla (shrimp in demon sauce.) Believe me, the sauce was less than demonic.
Challenge Accepted.
      I had this dish years ago when my taste buds weren't as flame-resistant and I couldn't finish the plate! But during my most recent visit I felt a bit disappointed, and a bit proud, that the heat didn't affect me. Have my taste buds gotten stronger or has the sauce weakened?
      Diabla sauce is a mix of different chiles and ketchup. The manager at El Pescador refused to reveal which chiles are included, but assured that it is a combination of a lot of different ones. Furthermore the only ingredient that he freely revealed was ketchup, which explains why the different spices were a bit dull.

CHALLENGE ACCOMPLISHED!
     I will admit that my mouth felt a bit of tingles as if a couple of fire ants were crawling on my tongue, but it was no different than chipotle sauce (which I suspect was one of the many spices in the sauce.)
     Even though the dish didn't meet my heat expectations, I do believe that it was an appropriate choice for my first challenge because it's gentle tingles have prepared my mouth and stomach for the journey that lays ahead.
     Fellow heat seekers: if you want to tickle your taste buds without the painful side effects of true heat, then please by all means try El Pescador's Camarones a la Diabla. Meanwhile I will go forth in search of greater glory.

1 comment:

  1. Is it the one off of Tweedy? I miss South Gate

    ReplyDelete